Tuesday, December 21, 2010

If the band fails?

The thought crossed my mind to try to lose weight with this fill. The diet mentality is better, but still there. My weight is back to “normal”, but I’m still about ten pounds overweight. Size twelve is not a size eight, but it’s also not a size twenty-six!

Here’s a question for you. If the band fails you in the future, would you consider gastric bypass? Losing my restriction at twenty months out, made me think about how long my band will help me. I’m estimating for a long time, but will that be for life? I have definitely made behavioral changes, but I now question my ability to keep weight off without the help of my band. My answer to the bypass question? Yeah, I think I would do it if I regained lots of weight. Not sure how many pounds it would take, but I would not wait until I weighed three hundred… it would be long before that.

Food today: Raisin, date & walnut oatmeal, onion bagel w/ cream cheese & deli ham, chocolate covered pretzels, Kit Kat (pms-ing, so sue me), and some Amy’s matter paneer will be dinner. Also plan on a couple of shots of vodka the second I get home (long hours + pms = bitch). Food calories will be 1400. I don’t know how many calories are in the drink (and don’t care).

I’m not reading, I miss that- I look forward to it, it’s my usual unwind activity right before bed. I wish I could indulge myself because I’m thinking about so many of you, but once I start- it doesn’t stop quickly. I’m being selfish in writing, but I need it for me.

7 comments:

  1. I think about this occasionally...I would revise to the sleeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sleeve would be my choice too... if it came to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question...first off, I would hate to find myself in that spot, cause if I fail at this, I would feel like I failed at life--that would not be pretty. I hope you never have to face that decision...me either!!! The sleeve and gastric bypass can also fail, so there is no fool proof method...in the end it all comes down to us. Here's to giving you an extra lift--you are being way too hard on yourself. Remember how wonderfully far you have come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleeve first. But you know what I worry about more? Becoming senile (or Alzheimers) and not knowing how to respect my band!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen too many Gastric Bypass paitents gain alot of their weight back as well. It seems no matter what, if we don't change our eating habits during this journey... nothing will help us. I look forward to seeing a size 12... last time I was about age 12. As for you, have your days and enjoy yourself. You are a different person and you will fight the addict in you to stop the weight gain way before 300 pounds comes again. You are a very strong person. And I'd like to think that we are a work in progress... learning as we go. *Maria*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would ever do gastric bypass. I don't think this is something you should fret about though. I mean, once your at goal its not like you have the band emptied. I would think as long as you have a good fill level for where you are at it should be okay. I don't think it is something you need to worry about though. You are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm done...no more elective surgery. With that said, I don't see how it would be possible to lose all of my restriction unless the band malfunctions. I'm confident this will serve me well for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete